Home  |  What's New  |  Mine Images  |  Projects  |  Safety  |  Maps  |  Subsidences  |  UGM Team  |  Links  |  Tours  |  Contact Us  |  

Moffat Colliery Remains

The Moffat Breaker, or Taylor Breaker, was built by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Company in 1915-16. At the time, it was described as an experiment in revolutionary breaker design and construction. It came at a time when the D, L and W was heavy into using concrete for it structures, for example the Concrete City housing development for the Truesdale Colliery and concrete base of the Great Loomis Breaker, both located near Nanticoke. The Moffat, however, was the first all reinforced-concrete breaker, containing 500,000 feet of lumber for machinery bedding and other fittings.

The concrete structure was unable to fully support the heavy machinery, and much cracking occurred from this and the settling of the footings. In 1920, the W. Y. Moffat Coal Company acquired the Taylor Breaker. In the 1970s Pagnotti Enterprises owned the breaker and it was torn down around 1980. Rubble, some machinery and a few ancillary buildings remain at the site today.

- Tony Wilson

© 2005 Underground Miners