The Newkirk Tunnel was started in 1868, into Sharp Mountain. Extensive mining continued the tunnel to 2,211′ in length. Through most of its life, it was operated by the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company. Outside the portal, there was a tipple used to dump the mine run coal into waiting rail cars of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad.
Photos of the Newkirk in operation, collection of Eric Bella.
Photos of the Newkirk underground, collection of Eric Bella.
Photos of the Newkirk abandoned in 1972, collection of Eric Bella.
Our photos of the site after reclamation.