The Porter Tunnel was opened in 1948 by the Reading Company, who abandoned operation after a short time in 1953. It was reopened in 1969 by the Kocher Coal Company. The tunnel is widely known for the mine disaster occurring on March 1st, 1977, when 9 miners were killed by breaking into old flooded workings.
Jeffrey Locomotive at Porter Tunnel 1952, Engine 2770, Eric Bella collection.
Our photos from the early 2000s showing the locomotive abandoned in the motor barn.
Our photos from the early 2000s showing the remains of the mine.
Diesel locomotive before/after, remaining at the mine site in 2012.