The first records we can find for the Raymond breaker of the Northwest Coal Co, located in Eynon PA, show production beginning in 1943. The breaker was served by the New York, Ontario and Western Railway and most coal was mine run and stripping, being brought in by hopper cars to the breaker for processing. After the NYO&W folded, the breaker was serviced by the Erie Lackawanna Railroad as the section of track between the breaker and Scranton remained in place. The Raymond Breaker would cease operation in 1970. This breaker along with the Waddell, were the last to operate in the Lackawanna Valley.
In the summer of 2014 a culm bank fire was discovered on the site of the former breaker land, and work was undertaken for several months until it was determined to be extinguished in early 2015. The report for the fire can be found here.
As of 2022, Main Stream Auto’s Garage occupies the land where the breaker once stood. A partial culm bank still remains from the processing of coal at this site.
Bureau of Mines photos, late 1960s.
Wayne Daniels, RR Model Craftsman, Feb 1969